Sicky update- 10/29/2009

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 3:54pm
Hi All,

I'm chillin here at the hospital, waiting to be transported to the UW Hospital, so I thought I'd send along an update.

I thought I was getting out tomorrow, but the doc decided I needed to go to UW now and have them keep me over the weekend (at least), so they can get a handle on what's going on. Evidentally, the doctor I'm going to be seeing there is the Dr. Burke (Grey's Anatomy reference Mom) of UW. Meaning she's a rockstar, and the leading cardio doc in the region. She is unlike Dr. Burke in that she is a white woman and did not have a torrid affair with Dr. Yang and then abandon her at the altar.

So I'll be heading over to UW later on, but no one exactly knows when "later on" is. Evidentally hospital time is like football minutes. 5 minutes really means 20 in football, an hour at the hospital means 9.

More on this heart thing...so it seems that the CHF (that's Congestive Heart Failure for all you rookies) is on the lesser side of my problems. The CHF causes tons of fluid retention, which is dangerous, sure, but it is also very treatable with meds and proper diet. The fact that my heart is damaged and so weak is the real issue. It's only working at about 5%-10% (out of 60%, not 100%, so it not QUITE as bad as it sounds) and it's pretty hard to live on that amount of blood flow. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow if there are ways to get that percentage up, so I can live a regular life.

I'm still feeling pretty good, not in any pain or discomfort at all. I just get beat when I do anything like brush my teeth or something. But rest assured, I will fiight through the exhaustion and brush anyway. Excellent oral health is key!

Wanna hear a funny hospital tale? Nick and I have kept ourselves amused with stuff like this, so I shall share.

The roomie situation- They tried to get my a private room, but it wasn't available. (Frankly, I'm not sure if one wasn't available or if Regence Blue Shield wouldn't pony up, but I digress) So I got a 2 peron room. And yesterday and last night I get the roommate from hell.

You all know me...I like most people, I don't get annoyed too easily, I'm pretty chill. This woman's entire view on life was like nails on a chalkboard. Her name was Gertrude, but she called herself Boco, because she said too many people had trouble remembering the name Gertrude. Uh, ok.

Let me set the stage...Boco is 80 years old (the 4th of 11 children she told me no less than 4 times), tiny, and the grouchiest woman I've ever encountered. Every time a person (nurse, aide, doc) told her something, she would say they were wrong and stupid. The food was lousy, and the tech getting her blood was trying to kill her.

Boco also has a challenging time with allergies and can't tolerate most foods. She strictly told the nurse that she is allergic to ALL beans, even green beans. The only beans she is not allergic to are french cut green beans. That's right folks-French Cut Green Beans.

The good news is Boco got discharged today! I'm not sure if she was well, or if the staff got together and decided to go on strike if she was kept here another night. Either way, I'm good.

So that's all for now I suppose...still no transfer yet (I may actually spend the night here if they can't find me a bed). I'll keep you posted though!

And THANK YOU all so much for the sweet words, encourgement, laughs, prayers, and good vibes you all are sending. Those little comments are making my day. : )

I love you all!
Jana


Stacey Thomas
I've been thinking about the low sodium thing.... and to help you the best I can, I will have to go to your house and eat all the chips. Yes, it is a great sacrifice, but that's how much I love you.
October 29 at 4:00pm

Errin Kramer-Wilt
Hey there chica. you sound way to upbeat! :) I am pretty sure that if it were me I would be writing in a very different tone.
I am so sorry to hear about everything that has been going on. Chuck and I are planning to come and visit ya. Sounds like we should call first to find out exactly where we can find you. I am sending lots of get well wishes your way!
October 29 at 4:04pm

Aradia ofSeattle
Jana, I had no idea any of this was going on. I'm glad to see that you're plowing through this. I live right near UW and would love to come see you if that's ok. Please have Nick give me a call! I send much love and many blessings, and am continually amazed at your neverending sunshininess.
October 29 at 4:06pm

Jana Farrill Morrelli
Stace- there never was a truer friend! There are some yummy tortilla chips in the panty and that salsa in the fridge rocks! : )
Errin- Yes! I'd love company! You or Chuck call Nick first to make sure he's here too (he's at home taking a shower now). As much as I need company, he does too. He's my rock and I think it would wonderful to have you guys... Read More stop by. : )Rae- I'd love to see you! I'll have Nick give you a call when we're at UW (though it may be tomorrow). And bring a DVD of your video if you have one! I'd love to see it!Love you all!
October 29 at 4:13pm

Aradia ofSeattle
OK my dear I'll see you soon then! My love and thoughts are with you, sweetness! I'll for sure bring you the DVD, you're so cute for thinking of that :'-)
October 29 at 4:22pm

Jenny Lavik
Jana- ok the story about Boco had me LOL literally!!! So glad I got to talk to you today. You truly inspire me with your positive attitude in the midst of all of this. You have every right to act like Boco but anyone who knows you knows you could never be even come close to how you described her. You rock and you will get better and go on to live a normal life! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Miss you lots and lots!!!
October 29 at 6:46pm

Sara D. Nora
hey Jana... i've been thinking about you all day today. I'm so sorry to hear that you have been having a hard time!! wish I was there to give you a big hug and do something crazy to make you laugh. i know that being in the hospital really sucks. we will keep thinking of you and praying for you.
love sara
October 29 at 6:55pm

Melissa Owens Reasoner
So, love the Grey's Anatomy reference and the Boco story. I hope I wasn't as bad a roommate as Boco! :) And if I was there I would definitely help Stacey eat all the chips! Keep me updated on everything and know we're praying for you. Much love to you and Nick both!
October 30 at 10:02am

No comments:

Post a Comment