Dictated but not read part 2- 11/5/2009

Hi guys it's Jana writing via Nick,

I'm still really loopy so if this doesn't make a lot of sense I'm sorry. I'm on Oxycontin (Hillbilly Heroin) but don't worry, I sure don't want to be on it for very long.

I went into surgery this morning about 8am and they began to prep me by washing me up, covering me with sterile towels and other general surgery business. I had a rockstar nurse named Lynne who stayed with me the whole time. The only part that hurt was getting the Lydocane/Novicane shot in my arm. That stuff burns like crazy (I cried). Lynne was so sweet to wipe my tears and scratch my itchy nose. They also gave me a drip anestesia and I fell asleep right away. I woke up 2 hours later when it was done and they rolled me back to my room. That's where Nick took all those pictures but frankly, I don't remember the ride very much.

During the surgery everythinig went very well. They cut a hole in my cest, made room for the defibulator, put the wires in, and tested it. Testing it means that they put my heart into a very weak and erratic rythm and then restart it with the defibulator. They did this twice! They did have me wired up to the code cart in case Sparky was a dud. But 'ol Sparks works like a champ. Plus I didn't feel any of the test so that's nice.

I fell asleep as soon as we got back but woke up later with my arm and chest hurting really bad. The nurse then gave me Tylenol 3 with codeine. (Scribes note, the doctor came in 15 min later and laughed at Tylenol 3 being administered for this pain.... this is when the Hillbilly Heroin came in.) Unfortunately the pills didn't do much for the pain anyway so I was hurtin pretty bad until 5. I was super woozy, they had me stand up for some reason and I almost fell over. (They think it was because I still had the anestesia in my system because my heart pumps so weakly.)

I slept almost all afternoon and got more pain meds at 5 which really did the trick. I was able to eat some dinner although that made me feel sick. I almost threw up but I feel better now. Ironically I'm supposed to be getting better and going home soon but this is the worst I've felt since coming into the hospital. I guess surgery will do that to you.

I just got more pain meds and I can feel myself drifting off to sleep. There's still a rumor that I could go home tomorrow but I don't see how that's happening if I feel like I do today. Who knows tho, I'll keep you posted.

Good night, I love you all!

-Jana and Sparky (and Nick)


Errin Kramer-Wilt
Hey there you two...glad to hear that surgery went well and you are now properly medicated...its about time they gave you some of the good stuff. You have been there for almost two weeks...they have been holding out on you!

I hope that you start to feel much better today...surgery is always a big deal as far as our bodies are concerned...even the docs call it minor. I think any time they cut into any part of your body it is major! :) So, you just take all the time you need to recover!See you soon chica.

Jillian McJannet
Morning sunshine! glad to hear the you and Sparky are doing well.

Eric Hyland
Hang in there! You're doing awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment