11/1 Update- 11/1/2009

Hi Guys!

Drumroll please.....I'm out of ICU!! They just moved me to Room 5210 at UW Medical Center. The room is certainly less dramatic looking (no huge machines standing by in case I try to kick the bucket). And I have the supreme luxury of a shower! There was no shower in the other room, because they wouldn't let me off the heart monitors long enough to take one. Plus, until today I don't really think I could have managed to take a shower without fainting anyway. Washing one's hair is hard!

I continue to get more good news...the doctor I spoke to this morning said something no one has told straight up until now. About 1/3 of the people that have my condition (acute cardomyopathy or damage to the heart due to something like a virus) will be able to make a full recovery and have their heart actaully get better. I will have to take meds for a very long time, but I may actually be able to get off those too (maybe). The other 1/3 of people are able to live a pretty normal life with meds, but they will stay on those meds forever and thier heart isn't acutally healed, it's just responding well to the meds. The other 1/3 don't respond to the meds and their heart continues to struggle. Those are the folks that need to talk about transplant right away. My docs are hopeful I'm in the first category....score!! (well, no score yet, but I'm at the 10 yard line- that's a shout of for Nick as I continue to TRY to learn more about football).

One of the other things I've been trying to figure out is what will happen in the long range (10 years +). So far, the docs aren't willing to tell me much, but I asked point blank today that even if I respond well to meds and my heart makes a full recovery, is there a chance for a relapse and possibly transplant down the road and he said absolutely. So I'm not sure I will ever be out of the woods on this thing. They also said they don't have any data of what someone's life looks like on these meds (beta blockers and ACE inhibitors) in 20+ years, because 20 years ago, these meds didn't exist. Someone with my condition 20 year ago would have been on a transplant list, hoping for a new heart. So modern medicine is pretty miraculous.

I've also asked about having kids and the reponse has been mostly positive. It will depend on how well I'm doing, but likely I can have kids fine, I will just have to be watched closely (lots of heart ultrasounds) and will probably have to have a C section, but no real problems. Yay! So we can have a little Jana Jr running around. :) And everytime the kid needs something I don't want to do, I'll just look at Nick, point to my heart, and make puppy dog eyes. ; ) I'm sure it will work.

Oh, everyone's been asking how lousy the low-sodium food is, but it's not all that bad really! I think my tastebuds have already changed. There have been some winning dishes (salmon, mashed potaoes, and chicken gravy) and some losers (artichoke and basil chicken-it tasted like one of those wacky rubber chickens). All in all, pretty fine! Nick and Mom have been feigning how sorry they are when they come up with their tray of salty delight from the cafeteria (lasagna, burgers, clam chowder). Luckily, I haven't had much an appetite until today. Today after lunch Nick sneaks up to my bed and whispers "Don't tell anyone..." and hands me two packets of salt. He's decided to be the salt dealer on the cardiac floor. He says his product is even saltier than his language! : ) After we had a good laugh, we wrapped the salt in toilet paper and flushed it before we got caught. They don't take salt jokes very lightly around here.

Alright, Nick and I are going to watch 17 Again with the Academy Award winner Zac Effron. We've heard good things, so I'll let you now how it is.

Later gators!
Jana


Travis Rubelee and Athena Sears like this.

Mandy Morrelli Young
More good news! It's great to hear you can have Jr Jana's running around. I love your updates.

Jenny Lavik
This is all such awesome news. This on top of the cowboys and horns wins... What more could Nick ask for in a weekend! LOL! So relieved and happy to hear all this great news!

Kitty Muller
yeah...more outstanding news.. big hugs for you and lots of prayers

Jennifer Nicoles Porter
Fantastic News - especially in the likelyhood of a Jana Jr! Only that's sort of scary for the rest of us ; )

Jana Farrill Morrelli
JP, are you kidding? ; ) A Jana Jr would be hilarious, adorable, and fan-flipping-tastic at Insurance Account Management. I'm convinced of it!

Jennifer Nicoles Porter
Of course - that's what makes it scary-fantastic! Just like my Mick-meister who turned 6 on Wednesday and got a skateboard.

Luis Cheng-Guajardo
That's good news Jana; you'll definitely be in that top 1/3 category! It sounds like you're in good spirits and that you and Nick are having some laughs. I would recommend the split pea soup if they have that one day, because I remember that being "acceptable" hospital food. I love y'all and look forward to your next update!

Melissa Owens Reasoner
Thanks for the updates girl! I'm so glad you should be able to have kids. A little Jana Jr. running around...eek!! ;) just kidding. love ya!

Travis Rubelee
Thank goodness! We're praying for you both! I'm sure Nick is going nut not having you around! We love you both!

Meghann Chapman
Keeping you in our prayers, I am so glad for the good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment