And she's off! (well, about to be off) 2/11/2010

Hi All,

Got some good news...I get to get off Amiodarone!! That's the drug with all the awful side effects like the jerking and the cataracts (and 38 additional serious side effects that I haven't seen yet, but am constantly worried about).

I just talked to my nurse practioner, and she let me know my cardiologist and my electrophysiologist had a pow wow, and they agreed I can come off the drug. The next step is figuring out the best way and time to get me on the replacement drug (Sotolol). I can't just stop the Amiodarone; I have to switch right away to Sotolol. And that is a little tricky.

Sotolol can sometimes cause dangerous heart rhythms, but the good news is the rhythms show up right away if they are going to make an appearance. So I will probably have to be admitted into the hospital for a few days to start Sotolol, just so the docs can watch every heartbeat and make sure the bad rhythms aren't occurring.

I go see the doc on Tuesday, and hopefully we'll have a game plan then. So, if all goes according to plan, I may be off Amiodarone within the next week or two. Hot dog!

Well, that's all the news I have for now- I'll keep you posted on the next steps. I can't wait!
: )
Love,
Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment