It's a yes! 11/12/2010

Hi All,

Don't you just love it when things go smoothly? I really really do. And today, they have!

I talked to my doc's nurse and my insurance company and it turns out that I meet the qualifications for Sparky 2.0!!!!! I didn't even really get to use my super secret insurance tricks and skillz. The one win I can claim is my doc wasn't even going to try to get Sparky 2.0 approved because she didn't think I would meet the insurance company's qualifications. But I never take no for an answer, and here we are! : )

Sparky 2.0 is the biventricular pacemaker/defibrillator (Option 2 if you are referring to yesterday's note). This is the device I've been hoping for. In some patients, this device helps improve the ejection fraction (how much blood my heart can pump). That may not happen for me, because my electrical conductivity isn't as messed up as some other patients, but it may help a bit and it may help it not to get worse.

The other awesome thing is that I won't need surgery later on to put in this device. That equals less chance for infection, fewer complications, and less moo-la. Win win win!

I'm going in on Monday or Tuesday for blood tests and an ultrasound of my shoulder where I had that blood clot last year. Since they will be poking around in that shoulder for this surgery too, they want to make sure they don't dislodge any remainder of the clot that is still there.

Then on Wednesday I go in for surgery. The procedure will take about 4 hours. They will cut open in the same place they went last time, remove Sparky, poke 2 wires in my heart, put in Sparky 2.0, and attach the wires to Sparky. Bada bing bada boom! I quit having these lousy episodes (like I've been having all afternoon). SO excited. : )

I'll stay overnight on Wednesday, and hopefully get out of there by Thursday. The pain probably won't be quite as bad as last time, because they don't have to create a pocket in my muscle this time. I'm sure I'll have some cool bruises, and won't be able to lift my arm for a few weeks. No big deal.

My mom is coming up for the surgery. I told her she didn't have to come, but she wanted to, and I really wanted her to come anyway. :) So she'll be here on Tuesday and stay for a few days after the surgery. There is nothing better than being babied by your momma.

I can't tell you how relieved I am about this ya'll. I've heard "let's wait and see" and "we're doing all we can for you" so much this year and it is so exciting to know the docs can do something to fix this. I'm as happy as a clam!

I'll keep you posted!
Love,
Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment